Bellingham Yacht Club, the first such organization on Bellingham Bay since the old Fairhaven Yacht Club ceased its activities in 1905, was completed on the evening of February 14, 1925 when a small group of boating enthusiasts met at Garland’s boathouse on the south side. Dr. Carl Erb who, with Mrs. Erb, had in the winter of 1922 and the early part of 1923 sailed his auxiliary ketch Thetis from Long Island Sound to Bellingham by way of the Panama Canal, was named as the club’s first Commodore. To assist him, W.J. Seaman was named Vice-Commodore and J.L. Patton Secretary-Treasurer, while F. Stanley Piper was selected to draw the design for the club’s burgee. Today their burgee remains the same as the original 1925 design.